We tend to think of money as only being 'filthy lucre' too often.
Money is a vital part of our continuing in practice.
Here are some frequent comments I hear in different ways, that prove it's got to be partly about money too...
and the big one each year for so many...
It's true, we're the helpers, we're here to give people the chance for a better life, whether it's emotional stuff, physical pain, business difficulties, or life direction etc., that's the big point of it.
The money side is a tool that lets us do that. It lets us work at this rather than getting a job just for money. It lets us keep a roof over our head and over our family. It feeds and educates our kids. There's nothing wrong with money.
If we give our time and energy without receiving something back it quickly becomes a negative equation for most of us.
I have had a coaching client who is a multimillionaire and who didn't need the money back, but they're few and far between. However, even he doesn't work for nothing. When I asked him about this he said “I value the work I put in, and so does the client when they invest in it.” He also made the point that having money, let him take on someone for free or very cheaply. When he sees a genuine need, he can help in a way he couldn't if he was poor and needing to use each appointment slot to help pay for life.
It's a good way to look at it.
So for anybody struggling on the money front, here are a few pieces of advice and some questions. I hope they help you bring your help more out there into the open and to the people you are right to help.
1. Value your work and your contribution when with a client
Here are a few questions to make that easier:
- What does it mean for a person to get help with this issue?
- How much of your energy and effort is going into this?
- What do people spend more on that helps less? (TV, Weekend Away, New Phone etc?)
2. How will allowing yourself to earn a living make life better?
- Will it let you do more of this and thus help more people?
- Cut stress?
- Help your family?
- Allow you to enjoy life more?
3. Ask yourself why you have spaces to fill (assuming you do).
- Have I consistently kept my message out there?
- Does my message resonate with those who I can help?
- Have I held back because I'm unsure how to reach people?
- Have I held back because I'm unsure of my skills?
- Have I tried one-off advertising only?
- Is it something else?
These might be an uncomfortable few questions. Please be honest with yourself. This is what will make the biggest difference for most of us.
And then take a pen and paper and answer the following three questions. These form your action plan for change...
A lot of people will read this and move on. The ones who work through those few questions are the ones who are determined to bring their help to more people in need.
I hope you're one of them.
Please keep sharing your help.
Have a great week,
Let us know if you want to stay up to date:
John Prendergast is an award-winning Success Coach and and Psycho-Trauma Anxiety Therapist.
He is also the Founder of Therapy and Coaching Success that specialises in helping Therapists, Coaches and other Wellness Practitioners, connect with those in need, build their diaries and earn the income they need.
Why you need Therapy and Coaching Success Training
If you are:
Make the Improvement, Impact and Income, you were trained to make!
Monthly Training Program
Great monthly training at a Tiny price!
In this program you get €1,200 worth of training for just €19.50 a month in the first year alone.
Sign up below and get your first month’s training: a 3-part course on how to craft your bio. Mine brings me €10,000+ a year!
Some Subjects Tackled in the Training:
Here’s a list of the subjects tackled in the first 6 months:
- Getting your Bio right and working for you
- Business cards: how to get results
- Getting and using Testimonials
- Newspaper advertising made easy
- Getting your price right
- Optimising flyers and leaflets
For more information click HERE